Monday, October 16, 2006

Woman gives birth to grandchild

I have a feeling this story involves a trailer park.

A Japanese woman in her 50s gave birth to her own grandchild last year, using an egg from her daughter and sperm from her son-in-law, a doctor has revealed.

I have vomited.

It was the first time a woman has acted as a surrogate mother for her daughter in Japan, local media reported.

This makes me question the actual meaning of motherhood. Is a mother the woman whos egg you were hatched from or the woman who carried you for nine months, handled the labor and childbirth pains to unleash you into this world? Or is it the woman who cares for you, loves you, teaches you, keeps you warm when you are cold, feeds you when you're hungry and holds you when you fall?

Japan's justice ministry also views the woman who gives birth as a child's mother - not the biological mother.

Oh. There's my answer then.

The woman had agreed to in vitro fertilisation and to act as a surrogate mother because her daughter had had her uterus removed due to cancer and was therefore unable to bear children.

My mother won't even lend me twenty bucks let alone carry a child to full term for me...oh man, I just vomited again.

Dr Netsu said the woman had first registered the baby as her own and then the child was adopted by her daughter and son-in-law.

Very sneaky. I wish though I could be there when this kid grows up and goes on the hunt for his birth mother.

1 Comments:

Blogger none said...

By the time he grows up and looks for his birth mother, she'll be dead - crisis over.

Or you could just tell the kid - 'your mum was a dog damien' - I know which I'd prefer.

October 16, 2006 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home