Monday, October 16, 2006

100s Evacuated Amid Hawaii Aftershocks



Trouble in paradise?

A strong earthquake shook Hawaii early Sunday, jolting residents out of bed and causing a landslide that blocked a major highway. Hundreds of hotel guests and hospital patients were evacuated, and aftershocks kept the state on edge.

I've never experienced an earthquake. If I was going to experience one, what better place than Hawaii? At least that way, when my legs are crushed beyond repair from huge boulders rolling down from the mountaintop, pinning me to the ground like an insect, I can look up at the clear blue sky and enjoy the fresh air as my body goes into shock. I need a vacation.

Gov. Linda Lingle issued a disaster declaration for the state, saying there had been damage to buildings and roads. There were no reports of fatalities, but the state Civil Defense had several reports of minor injuries.

"This earthquake has injured my relaxed state of mind".

"We were rocking and rolling," said Anne LaVasseur, who was on the second floor of a two-story, wood-framed house on the east side of the Big Island.

"Then the quake hit."

"I was pretty scared. We were swaying back and forth, like King Kong's pushing your house back and forth."

I know what's that like. Damn you dirty apes!

The earthquake caused water pipes to explode at Aston Kona By The Sea, a condominium resort, creating a dramatic waterfall down the front of the hotel from the fourth floor, said Kenneth Piper, who runs the front desk.

Pretty.

1 Comments:

Blogger none said...

Linda Lingle? What a cool name - or not.

October 16, 2006 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home