Sunday, September 10, 2006

I Went and Got Myself Tagged

For the first time since I started blogging on Damnit! Earth, I'm about to post something other than the everyday headlines. Kari over at www.mypieceofthenet.blogspot.com has tagged me with a little questionaire. And considering the fact that of the few hundred hits I get a day Kari is one of a few who actually post replies or say hello, I'm more that happy to answer her questions. So here we go:

1. A Book That Changed My Life: A tough one as I tend to be a bit set in my ways. I'd say it would be Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai. While I'm not about to go disembowling myself anytime soon, there are certain passages in this writing that I try to incorporate into my daily life. Example? There are two such passages that stick out for me:
"Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Even though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it gives no attention to any bird other than the one it has first marked." - this is how I attempt to solve problems that arise in my life. One at a time, giving no mind to the ones to be dealt with next until the first problem is resolved.
The second, "There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. By doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning you will not be perplexed, yet you will still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to all." - sometimes, you just have to bare it, it's not worth worrying or over exerting yourself. When you accept certain things as inevitable, they will not tug at you any longer.

2. A Book I've Read More Than Once: Hmm, there's many that fit here. The Art of War by Sun-Tzu I've read many times and I continue to take lessons from the writing. For fun, I enjoy reading A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens to my daughter around Christmas.

3. A Book I'd Take With Me If I Were Stuck On a Desert Island: Aside from a desert survival guide, for fun I'd take Robinson Crusoe by Daniel DeFoe, only because I'd relate at that point.

4. A Book That Made Me Laugh: Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. A dark journey into the absurdity of war that one can only laugh at.

5. A Book That Made Me Cry: When I was younger, Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes ripped me to shreds. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck hit hard as well.

6. A Book I Wish Had Been Written: The Definitive Guide to Living Life, something, anything, that could make sense of this mess.

7. A Book That I Wish Had Never Been Written: All religious books, The Bible, The Koran, The Torah, all of them. In my eyes, religion is a form of division that keeps us all seperated and always will.

8. A Book I've Been Meaning to Read: The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds - was recommended to me by a friend and as soon as I get over reading something from Oprah's book club I'll pick it up.

9. I'm Currently Reading:
Natural Selection by Dave Freedman
Moby Dick by Herman Melville - been trying to read this for almost a year. A tough read, but I'll get through it. Love the classics.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

Thanks so much for the reply. I was very interested to see what you read, but since I know you do not blog about personal things, was unsure if you would respond on your blog.

Thanks again. I appreciate it and your linking to my page. Have a great week.

September 10, 2006 6:56 PM  
Blogger A Mad Man said...

You're very welcome Kari.

September 11, 2006 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home