Thursday, December 29, 2005

US secret surveillance up sharply since Sept. 11

You mean the US intelligence agencies are montioring American soil more and more since that day when Islamic terrorists flew two passenger planes into the New York World Trade Center buildings, one into the Pentagon and one into a field in PA? Why would they do that?

Federal applications for a special U.S. court to authorize secret surveillance rose sharply after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, and the panel required changes to the requests at a even greater rate, government documents show.

Yeah and...?

President George W. Bush acknowledged this month that he had secretly ordered the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on the international phone conversations and e-mail of Americans suspected of links to terrorists without approval from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

So...?

The domestic-spying order has set off a furious debate over whether the war on terrorism gives Bush a blank check when it comes to civil liberties and whether the president, in fact, broke the law.

Isn't there a law against blowing up American landmarks and the mass killing of American citizens? Isn't that more important than whether or not the FBI listened in on my phone call order for Chinese food?
I know there's a bunch of people that are going to get up in arms and start screaming "It's our rights, our constitutional rights! The government's invading our privacy!" I don't care if the NSA wants to eavesdrop in on me and my friend talking about how badly he hates his girlfriend or one of the many phone calls I get from my mother to go to her house and help her move some cat liter from her car cause it's too heavy for her. I got nothing to hide.

See, I'm very much a 'ends justifies the means'. Fact is, nothing has gone KABOOM! since 9/11. I'm not a big fan of President Bush or anyone in any position of power really, but you can't ignore that no one has died from a terror attack on American soil in four years now. One can argue he just kind of made it so Americans die from terror attacks on Iraqi soil but that's another story.

The point here is that if listening to a phone call or montioring radiation levels in major cities keeps us safer than have at it. Shit, if the FBI breaks in my front door due to above average radiation levels in my home I'd fucking thank them. That's something I'd like to know about. If you get your phone tapped you should have nothing to worry about if you don't break the law. If you're not a terrorist, relax, if you are, you have no rights asshole. Pretty simple.

I'll start complaining if they impliment random public strip searches or require citizens to have microchips implanted in our brains. Until then, I just want to stay in one piece and if that means having my backpack searched before getting on the subway I say, shit, I'll leave the backpack home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey mad man, I'm with you, sometimes you just have to make things slid. I rather have then listen on conversations, then waiting and getting blownup in a deli getting a sandwich at lunch time...good point

December 29, 2005 7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets start by throwing out our library card's

December 29, 2005 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home