Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Earth Might Survive Sun’s Explosion


Did I miss something? Sun's blowing up?

What happens to planets when their stars age and die?

Don't know but bet it ain't good.

That’s not an academic question. About five billion years from now, astronomers say, the Sun will run out of hydrogen fuel and swell temporarily more than 100 times in diameter into a so-called red giant, swallowing Mercury and Venus and dooming life on Earth, but perhaps not Earth itself.

And this is where I stop caring. One, won't be alive in 5 billion years, no one I know will be alive in 5 billion years and I feel I can pretty much guarantee that the human species won't be around in 5 billion years. In fact, I'd be surprised if we make it another 100 years.

Astronomers are announcing that they have discovered a planet that seems to have survived the puffing up of its home star, suggesting there is some hope that Earth could survive the aging and swelling of the Sun.

I have other things to worry about. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the ball of dirt and all but really, is this news?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home