Friday, April 07, 2006

Giuliani recounts 9/11 agony at Moussaoui trial

Do we need to really drag this trial on? The guy pleaded guilty to being involved in the September 11th 2001 terrorist attacks. We should hang him in the town square and move on.

The government opened the final stage of its quest to execute Zacarias Moussaoui by presenting testimony Thursday from the man who came to symbolize U.S. resilience in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.

More so than Giuliani, I found the NYPD and NYFD men and women running into burning skyscrapers more symbolic of our resilience.

Giuliani, in recounting his experience of rushing to the scene even before the twin towers of the World Trade Center collapsed, became the first of almost four dozen witnesses the government plans to call to re-create for jurors the agonies of that day -- agonies that prosecutors say Moussaoui could have prevented and thus deserves to die for.

Did the jury forget? Have we forgotten that day? I haven't. I'm a New Yorker. I'm still pissed about it. Seems some of us have forgotten how we felt that day, watching people jump to certain death from a burning tower and thinking to ourselves "They don't deserve this today". Maybe we forot the feeling that rushed through us when we all realized as another plane struck and then another, that, America, our country, our home, was under attack. Maybe we forgot the fear of more attacks, the lust for revenge and reaction, the call for war, any war, any one. How quick we forget these things. I remember seeing posters of a bald eagle sharpening its talons, I remember Americans being just a little nicer to each other for a little while. And I remember going on vacation in Canada a year later and people being so kind to me for being a New Yorker. What made us forget? I'll tell you. Commericals. They've shortened our attention span.

So I guess maybe the jury does need to be reminded of September 11th. So does the rest of the country. It was during that time that for the first time in my life I was proud to be American. I am no longer proud of my country for many reasons, the most of which is the repeaditive stupidity of its people.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do we really need to drag everybody
who remembers every horrable detail
into court to prove that this guy should be killed...it's overkill on our part and we're just hurting the victums families all over again

April 07, 2006 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home