Saturday, February 18, 2006

Vietnam man handles three decades without sleep

30 years without sleep? That's nothing, one time I had the hiccups for five hours straight. I tried to kill myself eight times.

As songbirds awaken the early risers at dawn on the farm, one resident is already up; in fact, he never slept – not once in the past 33 years.

I thought not sleeping would cause serious hallucinations, and confusion, and other bad things to happen? How come this guy didn't have to waste his life away in bed like the rest of us?

Sixty-four-year-old Thai Ngoc, known as Hai Ngoc, said he could not sleep at night after getting a fever in 1973, and has counted infinite numbers of sheep during more than 11,700 consecutive sleepless nights.

Maybe the part of the brain that needs to sleep burned away from fever and now, Ngoc is some sort of superhero named Nocturno or something and he fights crime every night with his sleeping powder which has no affect on him but puts his enemies to sleep. I'm exhausted. This story is making me tired.

“I don’t know whether the insomnia has impacted my health or not. But I’m still healthy and can farm normally like others,” Ngoc said.

Oddly enough, Ngoc lives in a condo in the city. Maybe the sleepless nights are not as 'unaffecting' as he thinks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home