Saturday, August 04, 2007

Bonds Hits 755th Homer to Tie Aaron

Excuse me for a moment while I speak to my fellow Americans. I don't know how I feel about this. Hank Aaron was a great, a man who played baseball for the love of the game, a game that was great once. I can't get excited about Bonds breaking the record. It's like applauding when Ivan Drago kills Apollo Creed in Rocky 4. When a guy grows up playing baseball and breaks a record out of sheer talent, then I'll celebrate. Not when someone who has honed his skills and abilities with substances just for the purpose of breaking a record. To me, it's an insult to the game.

Barry Bonds swung, took a half-dozen steps and clapped his hands. With no trace of a smile but a strong shot for all the doubters, he caught Hank Aaron and tied the career home run record Saturday night.

I don't watch baseball anymore. I used to. I just can't watch. I get this overwhelming feeling that I missed the greats. I wonder if my father and my grandfather knew they were watching the greats when they were young? I feel like I'm watching robots.

No. 755 was an opposite-field drive to left-center field, moving Bonds within one swing of having baseball's pinnacle of power all to himself.

I find myself upset that he is breaking this record. I can't help but feel sort of cheated. Maybe I'm looking into this too much but hey, that's just the way I feel about it.

Bonds was booed as he headed to left field at the end of the inning. The 43-year-old star has been shadowed by suspicions of steroid use for several years, which some fans feel has tainted his chase for home run record.

At least I'm not alone. Booooooooooooo.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

I agree with you COMPLETELY regarding this issue. It just doesn't have the same thrill that it would if he had earned it the way Aaron earned his - by honest hard work and on his own merit.

August 05, 2007 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you noticed that TV and Newspapers have made a bigger deal with A-Rod's 500

August 06, 2007 2:13 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

I guess that goes to show that the majority of the people are not impressed by records broken when the person is using more than just their own NATURAL abilities. :-)

August 07, 2007 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home