Thursday, April 12, 2007

CBS Fires Don Imus Over Racial Slur

Well, I guess I enjoyed free speech while it lasted. So, no one's going to comment on the comments of Howard Stern, Al Sharpton or how about Rosie O'Donnell. I'm sure many people find the things they say offensive. How about we gather up all the adults on TV and radio and replace them all with 24 hours of the Teletubbies? That way no one has to hear things that make them sad. Idiots.

CBS announced Thursday that it has fired Don Imus from his radio program, following a week of uproar over the radio host's derogatory comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

I was watching a show on television the other day and they were talking about Italian immigrants. I'm Italian, that's why I was watching, and I thought, wow, this is interesting. They started to list off the things that Italians were responsible for bringing to the US when one lady says "And let's not forget gold chains and jogging suits." I immediately said, "What the fuck?" and giggled. Why? Cause I don't care that some stupid lady on TV stereotyped my nationality. Why don't I care. Cause I don't concern myself with the thoughts and words of stupid people. I didn't write a nasty letter and I didn't immediately jump on the internet to create a gathering of shouting morons. Because people sometimes say things I don't agree with and I might find offensive. It's a part of life. Look around you. See all those other things walking around that look like you? Those are other people. They're all over the place. Learn to live with it.

"There has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society," CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves said in announcing the decision.

You mean the ones not accusing college lacrosse teams of rape?

One of those discussions took place at noon today with a coalition of leaders from the civil rights and women's movements, who said it was time for Imus to go, reports CBS News correspondent Nancy Cordes.

I'm beginning to hate this country.

"It's important that we stand with the women of Rutgers who are deeply hurt by the highly insensitive comments of Don Imus," said Marc Morial, CEO of the National Urban League.

Oh no, they're feelings are hurt. These adult, professional, intelligent women can't deal with a comment they didn't like? Personally, I think the actions on Imus, who by the way I can't fucking stand, are more of a danger for the young people than his comments. Put the shields down people and let the kids get a dose of reality. People say stupid things sometimes. You can't always create an uproar about it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since when do people make Imus that important...he says something and your scared for life...Please!
get over it! I can't believe how important some black people have made Don Imus...white people never take anything serious that comes out of Sharpton or Jackson mouth...they're stupid and they lie.
Blacks should learn to see the same in Don Imus and move on!

April 13, 2007 1:33 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

I completely agree. You don't see white people in our society getting all bent out of shape when an African American person (or a person of any other race) says negative things about whites. We don't call for the firing of a person because they've said something we don't agree with or because our feelings got hurt.

On another note, if African Americans don't want people of other races to use certain words, maybe they should show a good example and not say those words themselves or bring them into common society by putting them in TV shows or music. If words are prolific in society, then the people of that society are going to become desensitized to those words.

April 13, 2007 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home