Thursday, December 21, 2006

Virgin Komodo dragon prepares to give birth

Looks like the second coming was a lot different than everyone expected.

In an evolutionary twist, Flora, the Komodo dragon, has managed to become pregnant without any male help. It would seem the timing is auspicious: seven baby Komodo dragons are due this festive season.

I sure hope human females don't learn this trick.

"We were blown away when we realised what she'd done," said Kevin Buley Wednesday, a reptile expert at Flora's home at the Chester Zoo in northern England. "But we certainly won't be naming any of the hatchlings Jesus."

You guys can't see me shaking my head but trust me, I'm shaking my head.

Flora has never mated, or even mixed, with a male dragon, and fertilized all the eggs herself, a process culminating in parthenogenesis, or virgin birth.

It's Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home