Thursday, November 17, 2005

Farmer suicides over rice market

That'll show 'em!

A South Korean farmer angered by plans to open up the local rice market killed herself by drinking insecticide. You know, I like to think of myself as a passionate man. I have very strong beliefs about government (it sucks), about religion (it's bullshit) and about the people of this planet (they're crazy). I, however, have never felt strongly enough about one cause to hollow myself out from the inside by drinking insecticide. I've never really felt the need to write a letter, let alone a suicide note.

Oh Cho-ok, 40, a farmer from a southern village, urged South Korean politicians in her suicide note not to pass measures which would incrementally open the country's rice markets as part of its World Trade Organisation obligations. Well, what do you care now? You've removed yourself from the debate and will go down in history as the crazy woman who killed herself over the rice market. You know, there are better ways to protest than completely removing yourself from the protest process. Sure a couple of people might take a step back and think, "that bitch is nuts" but after that, you've really only accomplished proving insecticide is poisonous.

My father once told me that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I never thought this saying would include the rice market. Most everyone is passionate about something. Obssessive enough to kill themselves...maybe not. The point here is, I guess, don't drink insecticide to prove a point. Kind of sad you have to tell people that.

2 Comments:

Blogger A Mad Man said...

If you feel so strongly about ITunes and WebFeed...here...drink this insecticide.

November 17, 2005 6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mad man,
I like the idea of your interacting,
don't let anyone get away with anything.
You have a great blog here and some zippy comes along and wants to sell you tunes? instead of atleast acknowledging
the fact that your trying to bring them screwed up world news with a slant.
keep up the good work,
Rob

November 17, 2005 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home