Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Austrian incest father says he is "not a monster"

Oh no? So what's your definition of a monster?

Austrian Josef Fritzl, who imprisoned his daughter for 24 years and fathered her seven children, said he was no "monster" and he could have killed her and her children had he wanted to, according to his lawyer.

Convincing argument.

"I am not a monster," Austrian daily Oesterreich quoted Fritzl as saying in comments relayed by his lawyer Rudolf Mayer. Fritzl also criticised media coverage of his case as "totally one-sided".

"All the media is concentrating on is that I locked my daughter up in a dungeon in my basement, raped her, fathered seven children with her, one of which died and then I burned in the furnace, and how I kept them locked down there for twenty-four years without seeing the sun. What about all my charity work?"

In 1984, the now 73-year-old lured daughter Elisabeth into a basement in his home in the eastern Austrian town of Amstetten, drugged her and locked her up. He claimed she had disappeared to join a sect.

I don't know, maybe it's me, but sounds like a monstrous thing to do.

Three of Elisabeth's children were raised by Fritzl and his wife Rosemarie after he pretended his daughter had left them on his doorstep with a letter saying she could not care for them.

Webster defines monster as: any animal or human grotesquely deviating from the normal shape, behavior, or character. A person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc. I'm going to have to side with the media on this one.

The other three children remained locked up in the windowless basement with their mother. A seventh child died shortly after birth. The pretence unravelled when the eldest child of the incestuous relationship, a 19-year-old daughter, became seriously ill and was taken to hospital more than two weeks ago.

I'm think I'm missing Josef Fritzl's argument here.

The young woman remains in an artificial coma and needs artificial respiration, according to her doctor. "Without me (she) would not be alive anymore...I was the one who made sure that she was taken to a hospital," said Fritzl, who also has seven children with his wife Rosemarie.

But you were the one who made her need to go to the hospital in the first place. Shouldn't we just shoot this guy?

"I could have killed all of them -- then nothing would have happened. No one would have ever known about it."

Actually, calling this guy a monster is an insult to monsters. I don't think a word exists to describe this. I'll make one up...umm...horriflagerating.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kari said...

Um yeah....this whole story is sickening. I don't think there is a word strong enough to describe his actions.

His own wife has said they should hang him. Personally, I'd like to see him and everyone else who commits these acts on children or women to be castrated then killed in a long, slow fashion (I haven't figured this part out yet), but that's just my biased opinion.

May 11, 2008 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home