Wednesday, November 14, 2007

NYU Students Would Give Up Right To Vote: For IPod Touch

Well, at least with the IPod you know you're getting something that's not completely fucking useless.

Most at NYU say their vote has a price. Two-thirds say they'll do it for a year's tuition. And for a few, even an iPod touch will do.

I have a friend who just got his Master's degree in a biological science field. He still thinks evolution is bullshit and the world was created by God only a few tens of thousands of years ago. A couple of weeks ago we had a conversation in which he claimed dinosaurs and man lived together. The point? Just cause you go to college doesn't automatically save you from being a fucking idiot.

That's what NYU students said they'd take in exchange for their right to vote in the next presidential election, a recent survey by an NYU journalism class found.

Look, honestly, it doesn't matter who you vote for anymore. Anyone with the ego to even WANT to lead an entire country is only in it for personal gain and that's going to fuck it up for anybody. I'd trade my vote for a bag of M&Ms.

Only 20 percent said they'd exchange their vote for an iPod touch.

Higher learning, higher standards.

But 66 percent said they'd forfeit their vote for a free ride to NYU. And half said they'd give up the right to vote forever for $1 million.

I'd give up my right to vote for $500. I need the money more than I need to watch the guy I didn't vote for fuck up the country anyway.

But they also overwhelmingly lauded the importance of voting.

30,000 a semister and they're still morons. You go kids, make your parents proud.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't agree with calling other people morons simply because they don't have an interest in politics and have a pessimism towards it, especially since you spelled semester wrong.

November 15, 2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger A Mad Man said...

Didn't call them morons for having a lack of interest in politics, called them morons for being stupid enough to contradict themselves in the same breath with saying that they recognize the importance of the voting process but acknowledging their own greed in their willingness to trade in for material gain.
Now, if they would have said that their lack of interest in politics and a general pessimism towards it have caused them not to vote as a form of protesting the process and not for material gain, then that would have been more notable for a certain nobility. But as it is, their own words describe nothing but a willingness to trade a civil right for monetary value which makes them guilty of the same greed as the people they refuse to vote for and which probably put them off voting in the first place. So I repeat, saying voting is important but admitting you would trade the right for monetary gain is moronic, almost as moronic as hinting that because I have a spelling error in my writing that perhaps my intelligence level is too low to have an opinion on this matter. Come see me after writing over 1,500 posts in two years time and show me your grammatical godliness and I'll go back and edit the post so I spell semester correctly. As it is now, I'll leave it, cause even though it was spelled incorrectly, you got the point anyway.

November 15, 2007 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And people want to know how an idiot with half a brain can become President(look what Yale cranked out) in this GREAT? country of ours. The "what's in it for me" generation, will be tuned out. What can you say, it's a very sad commentary for our future...the world is passing us bye and most people won't notice.

November 15, 2007 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home