Monday, March 19, 2007

Study Finds One-Third of Washington D.C is Illiterate


I'm really not surprised.

About one-third of the people living in the national's capital are functionally illiterate, compared with about one-fifth nationally, according to a report on the District of Columbia.

So who are all those people visiting my blog from D.C.? Oh that's right, I have pictures.

Adults are considered functionally illiterate if they have trouble doing such things as comprehending bus schedules, reading maps and filling out job applications.

Or running the country.

The growing number of Hispanic and Ethiopian immigrants who aren't proficient in English contributed to the city's high functional illiteracy level, which translated to 170,000 people, said Connie Spinner, director of the State Education Agency. The report says the district's functional illiteracy rate is 36 percent and the nation's 21 percent.

I guess I'm doing this blog mainly for our friends in other countries. Maybe I should get myself a Chinese keyboard.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you saw the results of the last 2 elections, you know this country is Illiterate

March 20, 2007 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home