Thursday, January 18, 2007

No-spank bill on way

This is going to be stupid.

The California state Legislature is about to weigh in on a question that stirs impassioned debate among moms and dads: Should parents spank their children?

Yes, yes they should. In fact, I believe parents should do more than spank their children. I know when I was a child, the threat of the physical violence my mother was capable of kept my little ass in line.

Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-Mountain View, wants to outlaw spanking children up to 3 years old. If she succeeds, California would become the first state in the nation to explicitly ban parents from smacking their kids.

First of all, who the fuck is going to know if you spank your children at home? Are we going to start taking a three-year old's word on whether or not their parents slapped their little asses? These are beings that believe a giant rabbit hides eggs in their house and leaves them chocolate. I don't think we should be giving them the benefit of the doubt. I can just see the threats flying already, "Mommy, if you don't buy me that Bratz doll, I'm gonna tell Mrs. Wupplestein at school that you spanked me."
Secondly, and much more importantly, as we get older, it's important to understand that people, in general, are capable of violent reactions. If I bug my mother to the breaking point and she don't lay my little ass out then imagine my surprise when I'm 16 and I start mouthing off to another teen and he knocks my teeth down the back of my throat. It's an important lesson to learn and I'd rather learn that people have breaking points from someone who loves me and is only mad at the moment rather than some teenager who is confused that his body is changing and he's seen one too many Halloween movies and played Halo and Grand Theft Auto for 28 hours straight.
Don't get me wrong, there's a BIG difference between a spanking and a vicious thrashing. Spanking is a tool. Beating is a crime.

7 Comments:

Blogger none said...

Amen to that mad man.

and wukikukikuki - lickey splittey arsey creamy - fuck off before I smack you (unless it gets outlawed).

January 19, 2007 4:38 AM  
Blogger none said...

. . . . . . . and I remember once, my dad (who's ex-army) smacked me for mouthing off, I said I was going to report him to the child protection people. So he smacked me again and said 'There's something to report me for then'.

Ha - worked though!

January 19, 2007 4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 19, 2007 8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please! don't tell me the idiot's have found a perfectly good Blog!
Mad Man, you should charge them, at least you would make some money off of these assholes

January 19, 2007 10:42 AM  
Blogger none said...

Damn - missed the deleted post, what did it say (or at least the gist of it . . . . ).

January 23, 2007 5:15 AM  
Blogger none said...

Just remembered - re: listening to the testimony of kids, my sister has 3 girls, the middle one (17) speaks to her as if she were shit, and the youngest has started joining in - the youngest went to school and had been crying because her mum told her off for talking to her like she was.

Someone asked what had happened - she said 'My mum woke me up screaming at me and slapping my face and shouting that she didn't love me anymore'!!!!!!!!

That's one hell of a leap from 'mum told me off for badmouthing her - and didn't even raise a hand to me' . . . . .

And she's 7!!

We are so screwed.

January 23, 2007 5:20 AM  
Blogger A Mad Man said...

The deleted post was spam but contained some harse sexual language that I decided wasn't appropiate since I hadn't said it. It's one thing to spam here for another blog, that I don't care about. But spam that could register as sexual harassment has no place here on comments, unless of course, again, it's from me.

So, what are you guys wearing?

January 23, 2007 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home