Wednesday, August 09, 2006

McKinney Sings, Ends Campaign

Since she's singing, I guess it's really over.

In a bizarre end to her reelection campaign, Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney gathered her supporters around her and attempted to sing along to a song by Pink and the Indigo Girls called "Dear Mr. President."

As if it wasn't awkward enough to be in room with a person who just did 60 to zero in the span of fifteen seconds, she's got to sing. Bowing out gracefully was never her strong suit I guess. Not sure what her strong suit was.

"Let me tell you about hard work, minimum wage with a baby on the way," McKinney sang out as the song played in the background. Eventually, McKinney conceded the race at 12:36 a.m. with one sentence: "I wish the new representative of the 4th Congressional District well."

Then she hit him with her cell phone.

Former two-term DeKalb County commissioner Hank Johnson declared victory over the incumbent Congresswoman Tuesday night as 100 percent of the precincts showed his lead at 59 to 41 percent .

I tell you this much, this makes me happy. I didn't like that McKinney and I'll tell you why. Her head was too big. Not literally, although now that I think about it, she did have a big head physically, but more because of the punching the cop incident. Now, it wasn't the fact that she punched a cop, shit, everybody wants to do that. They don't even have to be writing me a ticket. I could just pass one on the road and I think "I wanna punch him in the jaw". I don't, but I guess that's why I'm not a part of congress.
No, I dislike McKinney for another reason. I don't like her because, after punching the cop, she tried to play the race card. After not wearing her badge and being stopped by the cop and then punching him with a cell phone, she pulled out the "it's because I'm a black woman" ace. That pissed me off. It wasn't a race thing and she as well as anyone with even half a brain knows it was a "who are you to stop me" thing.
Do I think racism still exists, yeah, on a much more minor level than a few decades ago. Do I think it's fair that everytime a black person or a spanish person or some other "minority" (for a minority, there's a lot of 'em) gets to yell "racism" and everyone is supposed to back off and play nice? Fuck no! Look, if I punched a cop and then yelled "He stopped me cause I'm white" people who have me committed. McKinney was stopped because she didn't have a badge on. She then acted inappropiately and upon realizing the fault of her action, tried to turn it into a black and white thing. I don't like people willing to raise the tension between two races whom seem to be getting along better as time passes for their own personal gain. You fucked up McKinney and weren't able to just say "I fucked up". That's why I'm glad you're out of office. And apparently, so are 59% of the voters in your state.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home