Saturday, November 19, 2005

Atheist sues over "In God We Trust" on money

Oh give me a fucking break.

Michael Newdow, a Californian atheist who has fought a series of legal battles seeking to bar religious references from American public life sued on Friday to remove the phrase "In God We Trust" from U.S. money and coins. I'm all for seperating church and state but there is point where you have to pick your battles. When Bush tries to ratify the Constitution of the United States in accordance to his Christian beliefs, yes, I think then all the atheists should stand up and make noise. Teaching God to children in schools or forced prayer is also something I personally don't think should be introduced. But in all fairness, God and religion is something that parents need to take reponsiblity for teaching to their children. We can't expect a country filled with a mix of religions, atheists and the agnostic to suddenly wipe the 'idea' of religion from public view. Fact is, there are religious people in this world. Most of them populate the sandy areas, but they're all over the place. We can't expect them to just say, "Oh I'm sorry, let me keep my God quiet for you." Ain't going to happen.

I don't care what my money says on it. I'm more concerned with whether I have enough of it to pay the bills at the end of the month. I've never looked at my currency and thought "Hey, I don't believe in God, so I don't believe in money." I don't believe in Santa Claus either, but I don't picket shopping malls around December.

Here's a news flash for you Mike. The world doesn't revolve around you. You have to share it.

Isn't it slightly ironic that this sue-happy atheist is suing to get more of the money that he doesn't agree with?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home