Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween

I just got back in from taking my daughter trick or treating. Aside from a pillowcase half full of enough sugar to send a small country into a sweet-induced giggle-fit I have sore feet and heavy eye-lids to show for it. My daughter went around town dressed as an eight-year old zombie with make-up realistic enough to give the elderly candy-givers a little glimpse into the near future. Amongst the ghost and goblins and evil looking jack-o-laterns I couldn't help but think, wow, this is a great holiday. I was taken back to my younger days and the mathematic strategy I turned trick or treating into with a few good friends, a few masks and careful planning.
You see, my friends and I had trick or treating down to a science. First, we would meet at a house and plan our route, taking into account the "good" candy-givers from the previous year. We then we plot our course so that we could hit those houses in the quickest fashion. First we would go with simple face paint, a jacket and a pillowcase that held candy from the "lesser" houses and a mask for each of us. We would hit the good spots, continue on to the end of the block, take off our jackets, take our masks out of our cases and hit the good houses again dressed as a totally different creature. It worked, really well. Every Halloween I came home with two full pillowcases worth of candy.
Now Halloween means something different. I enjoy watching my daughter enjoy her night of candy gathering. I tell my girlfriend that this is the night that our daughter earns her keep by bringing home as much candy as she can that my girlfriend and I can spend the next couple of months picking at. I even find myself dipping into those "Please Take One" baskets people leave on their porches.
I also love television this time of year. I remember when I was younger, Halloween episodes of all my favorite shows would air. (My all time favorite was a Facts of Life episode in which the girls thought Mrs. Garett was killing people. Classic.) While those days seem to be gone you can still catch Garfield and Odie dressed as pirates running into real ghost pirates and Charlie Brown gathering his yearly bag of rocks. I love horror movies and they're all over the stations all month. Yup, Halloween is one of the best times of the year.
So if you celebrate this holiday (if you don't you're just stupid, I don't know any religion that forbids handing out candy to children) Happy Halloween.

2 Comments:

Blogger none said...

And a Happy Halloween to you too.

And why do other brits look at me all weird when they see a graveyard in my back garden??

Hope you don't rot all your teeth . . . .

f.b.i.t.c.

November 01, 2007 7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mad Man...you should make this a college study...trick or treating 101. I'm sure most people
could apply what you did on Halloween night into a life lesson. somewhere down the line you would've make a great professor but you sound like you are one or could be

November 01, 2007 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home