Monday, September 04, 2006

'Crocodile Hunter' Steve Irwin killed

I liked this guy, I really did. I can still remember smoking some joints with a few friends, watching his program and laughing myself to a headache at his ridiculous antics, funny accent and overpowering love for animals, not to mention the man was bit by ever living creature at least twice. As much as I liked him, I can't say I didn't see this coming.

Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as “Crocodile Hunter,’’ was killed on Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Venomous snake? Nope. Killer croc? Nah. He was killed by a fishy. That sucks.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called “Ocean’s Deadliest’’ when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

Ocean's Deadliest, you aren't fucking kidding.

“He came on top of the stingray and the stingray’s barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart,’’ said Stainton, who was on board Irwin’s boat at the time.

Crikies!

Injuries caused by stingrays are relatively common but fatalities are rare. An Aboriginal boy died several years ago, while the previous recorded death was in 1945.

One of those days were it would have been better to stay in bed. Or at least out of the water. Well, I miss the crazy Aussie. Rest in Peace.

5 Comments:

Blogger none said...

Sucks doesn't it Mad Man, glad to see you kept the post respectful mate, he will be missed by everyone who ever watched one of his shows - complete nutcase.

The real irony is, he wasn't even trying to piss this creature off by poking it with a stick like he normally does.

My thoughts go out to his wife, kids and family.

We'll miss you Steve.

September 05, 2006 2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is horrible!...I liked this guy!... at a time when these crappy reality shows are on, this guy was real..a little out there but real. like you said Mad Man, Gods not watching or he fell asleep because he takes this guy and all the nut jobs in this world are still running around, granted in caves but they're alive.
Really sad to see him go.
I'm sure he will be missed by so many people.
Steve! thanks for making me laugh

September 05, 2006 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He will be missed. Funny blog, been reading for awhile.

September 07, 2006 5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with fbitc up there, your comedy style is funny but so things just don't have humor in them. Thanks for not forcing it.

By the way do you think the video of his death will be released?

September 07, 2006 5:45 AM  
Blogger A Mad Man said...

Some things I don't find humor in. I enjoyed Irwin's shows, his personality and mostly his passion for animals.

In this day and age, who knows if the video will surface. It may, especially if money is offered. I don't think it'll be "released" in the sense of broadcasted but leaked on the internet, I'd say there's a good chance of that.

September 07, 2006 6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home