Saturday, July 14, 2007

Text Messages Cited in Fatal NY Crash

"That's weird, Jonny just texted me saying look out!!"

Text messages were sent and received on a 17-year-old driver's cell phone moments before the sport utility vehicle slammed head-on into a truck, killing her and four other recent high school graduates, police said.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you have to use both hands to do it chances are your brain should be involved as well. I can't even talk on the phone and surf the internet at the same time.

Bailey Goodman was driving her friends to her parents' vacation home when her SUV, which had just passed a car, swerved back into oncoming traffic, hit a tractor-trailer and burst into flames.

I wonder what was so important it couldn't wait till they got home?

Goodman's inexperience at the wheel; evidence she was driving above the speed limit at night on a winding, two-lane highway; and a succession of calls and text messages on her phone were cited Friday by Sheriff Phil Povero as possible factors in the June 28 crash in western New York.

It's a shame four other people lost their lives because of the stupidity of one person. You may think that is a bit tasteless but give it some thought and put yourself into the situation. I tend to throw the cell phone out the window if the driver attempts to operate it while driving and I'm in the car. Hey, this is my life we're talking about. It's worth the hundred bucks I have to fork over for them to buy a new one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home